Sunday, March 4, 2007

Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter

Wow! This was a great book in so many ways. This is the first Stephen Hunter book I've read, and I know I'm coming back for more. I was expecting more run-of-the-mill pop fiction, but instead I got some really excellent writing that kept me turning page after page. A good "story" can keep me turning pages, but this was good "writing". Excellent research, compelling story, well developed characters, multi-layered plot line, great action -- just great writing.

Earl Swagger is a character I want to read more of. He's elemental, and I'm sure Hunter has more backstory on him in some of his other books. I'm looking forward to tracking those down. Looks like Hunter writes some books with his son Bob Lee Hooker as the main character. Gotta get my hands on those as well.

Definitely some squirmy topics touched on in this book: the South in the Jim Crow era, war and the morality of killing, biological warfare to name a few.

Very impressive to come across a "thriller" that is well crafted piece of fiction rather than just another pop story.

No comments: