Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Hunt Club by John Lescroart

I don't know about this one. Fairly good story, but thin in many areas. The main character is Wyatt Hunt a former military inspector and former child protective services field agent turned PI. Definitely not of the traditional gumshoe mold -- he's a bit too self aware with some scars from the past left by growing up in the foster care system and later losing his fiance. I really wanted to like this guy, but I don't think Lescroart developed his character well enough or allowed for a rich enough story line for him to grow on me. He did a far better job with the other characters in the book like Hunt's friends Amy Wu and Devin Juhle. But maybe Hunt grew on my just enough, because I do think that I'd give a "Hunt" novel another chance. Just to see whether Lescroart can redeem him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've made some excellent points! I would also read another "Hunt" novel - giving Lescroart a chance to develop this guy a bit more. Thanks for visiting my blog!