Thursday, March 8, 2007

Fear of the Dark by Walter Mosley

This one didn't sit right with me for most of the way. Paris Minton's self-deprecating prattle bothered me to the point that I was missing out on some positive parts of the story and the writing. The whole thing about him being such a fraidy cat just didn't jibe with all the ballsy things he was doing. I had a hard time getting past that. A mirror image of the same thing was happening with Fearless Jones -- he was being talked up as the man you don't mess with yet that wasn't coming across too well. All talk and no walk. Not Fearless himself, but Paris's build up of him. I actually found myself more interested in the back story of Fearless' World War II assassination missions.

Perhaps these things wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't started with the third book in the series? Of course, that in itself wouldn't say much about this books ability to stand on its own.

Yet, by the end of the book I was open to some more Fearless and Paris. So maybe I'll give them another spin sometime.

No comments: